Marble Arch, London. In 1828, John Nash designed the arch. It was originally erected on The Mall as a gateway to the new Buckingham Palace. In 1851, the arch was moved to its present location during the building of the east front of the Palace. It has been speculated that the arch might be moved to Hyde Park, or to some other location. It is a white Carrara marble monument in Hyde Park, at the western end of Oxford Street, near the Marble Arch Underground Station. Historically, only members of the royal family and the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery were allowed to pass through the arch in ceremonial procession. Today, the arch is open to pedestrians.