St Katherine's Docks are built on a site with over 1000 years of dramatic history. The roots of the buildings on today's site can be traced back to the 10th Century when King Edgar gave 13 acres of land to 13 Knights, with the right to use the land for trade. There is evidence of there having been a dock at St Katharine's since 1125 and throughout the ages it has housed a Hospital and Monastery. The first use of the name St Katharine Docks has been traced back to Elizabethan times, when the area around the hospital was thriving with busy wharves. By the end of the 18th Century, St. Katharine's was a prosperous settlement with its own court, school and alms houses along with the hospital the area housed around 3000 people.